Saturday, September 25, 2010

Procyon lotor

Today was full of thrills.

We're home after two wonderful weeks of camping.  It was great, but it had its hardships.  Rain filled our mugs with two inches of water one night.  Skim ice coated our dishwashing water several mornings.  I'm finding all the little things I take for granted thrilling: a bathroom (with warm water for handwashing!) steps from the bed, an ambient temperature that doesn't freeze my toes all night, a kitchen stove I don't need matches to light, my morning cappuccino.

The biggest thrill, though, came when I uploaded photos from our GameSpy.  We caught something the very first night we camped.



We had seen the pawprints on the picnic table and hoped this photo might be there, of Procyon lotor, the common raccoon.  Recent evidence suggests that P. lotor is not solitary, but social.  Groups of females or groups of males share the same territory.  They hunt alone, but use a common latrine and gather for eating, sleeping and playing.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Wow that's an awesome picture. Looks like he was posing for you.

NotWearingRaccoons said...

Saucony named a shoe after the raccoon? Who knew?!

Susan said...

Kat, doesn't it? Cooperative fellow.

NWR,aka AM, you made me go look it up! Procyon is the brightest star in Canis Minor. It means "before dog" and it was thought that raccoons evolved before dogs from the same common ancestor, so therefore they are "before dog". I bet the shoes are named after the star.