Thursday, April 9, 2009

Soup, Salad, Souffle

It was a busy week. The sorbet never got made. But the Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffles were a huge hit...with two of them. I know Greta will fall

into line someday. Really, how can you say no to a cheese souffle?

I'll have to get her more involved in the making. They are easy. The girls can make them (except for the final folding step which takes a bit of patience).

And you can make them ahead and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Pop into a 425 oven for 5 minutes and serve.

And for the soup we slaved over this Trader Joe's Butternut Squash Soup in a box.

No, Mike did. As I was running out the door, I whispered to him to pour it in a pot, heat and serve it as if it were homemade.

It went down to rave reviews.

I love that the kids like homemade food but it is sometimes a nice change to serve something nutritious from a box.

Clementine the Mad Chemist made the dressing.

I distilled our favorite vinaigrette recipe into general guidelines:

2 diced shallots
4 tablespoons of vinegar or citrus juice
1/3 cup olive oil
salt to taste


Clem chose to experiment with:
Four kinds of vinegar


Four kinds of salt


A dash

A pinch

A taste

Just right!

I came home to hear that Ev and Clem had devoured their own souffles, Greta's, the spare, their soup. Clem mowed the salad.

Greta had yogurt.

And they saved a souffle, washed and dried greens, and Clementine's secret recipe vinaigrette for me to have for lunch the next day.

The recipe for a happy mom is really no secret. A dash of loving gestures and a pinch of ready-to-eat delicious lunch is all it takes.


3 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Sounds terrific. I'd like the souffle recipe.

Kristin said...

What a chic dinner they prepared. I'd like the for the souffle too. I can't believe you have so many artisan salts. I agree. Simple prepared foods are nice to have on hand sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!