Sunday, October 12, 2008

Crab Cakes


We celebrated my sister's birthday yesterday. Mom and Dad came down from Tahoe where it was 18 degrees and snowed 2 inches overnight. Mom made crab cakes. I dragged Clem away from drawing and made her wash her hands and rinse them. She tried to leave a slimy coating of soap on them.

Over her strenuous protests I compelled her to join my mom at the stove. Mom showed her how to form the crab mixture into a ball, roll it in breadcrumbs, and put it in the pan. "I won't eat them!" she kept yelling. She did a lousy job on purpose, but then couldn't resist doing another, better, one. She made teeny tiny little appetizer sized crab cakes. One big mouthful each.

And she ate one.

Score one!

The photo is an appetizer Mike and I ordered to share in a restaurant in Houston in February. I ate one crab cake, carefully, making sure to leave half the sauce and salsa. And then I was apparently overcome by their exquisite flavor because I ate the other one.

1 comment:

Stefaneener said...

: ) Clem's efforts get high marks for creativity.

Your crab cake reminds me of the time I got crab cakes at Martini, in Yountville (?). I wish I'd ordered three of them because it was all I could do not to lick the plate -- the sauce was that exquisite.